• 4 egg yolks (save the egg whites for the meringue if desire)
• 4 tablespoon cornstarch
• ¾ cup of sugar
• 1 can evaporated milk
• Whole milk (same amount of the evaporated milk)
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 Bauducco Panettone cut into one inch thick slices (remove the crust)
• Brandy or any flavor liquor to wet the slices of Panettone
Ingredients for the meringue:
• ¾ cup egg whites at room temperature
• 2 cups sugar
• 2 tablespoons white vinegar
Cover the bottom of a 9X9 Pyrex or a glass pan with the sliced Bauducco Panettone making a layer.
Pour the liquor over the Bauducco Panettone until moist.
Mix all the ingredients except the liquored Panettone in a blender.
Over the stove at medium heat, in a 3qt. pan stir the blended mixture constantly with a whisk or a wooden spoon until thickens making a custard. Cover the moist Panettone with the custard. Let it cool before refrigerating.
The pie can be cover with meringue if desired, recipe to follow.
Directions for the meringue:
Using a mixer at medium high-speed beat the egg whites until most of the air bubbles disappear. Increase the speed to high and gradually add the sugar using a spoon.
Once the first cup of sugar is added to the egg whites, add the vinegar the same way, continue with the rest of the sugar until it is completely absorbed by the egg whites.
Let the custard cool off before covering it with the meringue.
If desired you can burn the meringue in the oven using the broiler with the door open.